What to do if you have a road traffic accident


Road traffic accidents can cause a great deal of emotion and worry and, in some serious cases, physical trauma. If you have had a road traffic accident and it was not your fault, you could be entitled to put in a claim for compensation.

Serious accidents can cause injuries that mean you are unable to work and live as normal. With many of us worrying more than we normally would about money, not being able to work is more devastating than it has been for years.

Compensation is designed to aid you financially through that difficult period, so you shouldn’t worry about accessing this help. Here is what to do.

Can I claim?

An accident can catch you off guard, you are likely to experience shock and sometimes the finer details of the event aren’t easy to remember.

If you can, it is important to take a note of as much of the detail as possible. If you are not able to do this, asking a witness to write a statement is a very good idea.

Once you have recovered from the initial shock of the accident consider whether you have been injured in the accident, and whether the accident was someone else’s fault.

If that is indeed the case, you are able to make a claim for compensation.

How long can I leave it?

You might be wondering, have I left it too long to make a claim? Well, the easy answer to this question is that if the accident occurred in the last 3 years then you are able to make a claim.

What will it cost me?

Lawyers can be expensive, but this shouldn’t be the case if you really have had an injury as a result of a road traffic accident that prevents you from working and you need compensation. Most personal injury lawyers, such as www.injurylawyers4u.co.uk, will act for you on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis, which means that there is no financial risk for you.

Seek advice

If you win, your lawyer’s fees will be paid by the losing side and so they will not take the case on unless you have a just claim. You should contact a good lawyer as soon as you can so that they can give you expert car accident advice. It is very rare that personal injury claims actually go to court when the fault is clear, but if it does you will need a good lawyer to talk you through the process.

Stay calm

The best advice is to keep a level head; stay calm and remember to take the details of anyone involved in the accident. Contact a lawyer to support you straightaway. Compensation is there to help you when you deserve it, so if you have a serious injury, act as soon as you can.