DVLA will not budge on motorhomes


The DVLA has stressed the fact that even though many people are asking that the system for licensing motorhome drivers be altered it does not have any plans to make a separate category for these owners.

The call for a new category is due to the fact that a C1 licence, which is usually reserved for commercial vehicle drivers, is required by any motorhome drivers that have a vehicle that weighs more than 3.5 tonnes.

The entitlement was automatically added for all drivers that took their driving exam before January 1997, but those who too their test after 1997 must now complete commercial vehicle driving training if they wish to drive their motorhomes.  The task would not be so absurd if the training did not include instruction on how to operate a 7.5 tonne lorry.

The change has led many to request the DVLA to place motorhomes in their own licensing category as passenger vehicles, but the DVLA remains definite that they have no plans to do so.

A spokesman for the DVLA stated that a motorhome is well within what is described as a goods vehicles given it is a trailer that is adapted to haul or use as a carriage and thus if it has a mass past 3.5 tonnes the C1 driving licence will be required.

The C1 licensing rule is in accordance with European legislation. If motorhome drivers pass the tests in training and the vehicle is meant for private use than they do not need to acquire a CPC which is needed by lorry drivers.